From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: Bob Miller <kbob@××××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] portage-ng concurse entry Was: Updated Portage project page
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 00:29:47
1 On Fri, 2003-12-05 at 11:46, Bob Miller wrote:
2 > Second, is there anything wrong with Python as an implementation
3 > language? If you think Python is too slow, think again. On nearly
4 > every portage operation I do, the CPU is mostly idle -- it's the disk
5 > that's thrashing (according to gkrellm). The key to improving
6 > portage's performance is to get it to open fewer files.
7
8 Well, the main thing hurting python's performance is actually bash. In
9 particular, right now we need to use bash to extract metadata reliably
10 from ebuilds. Bash is the single largest performance impediment we have.
11 Without the need for a python <-> bash interface, dep calculation would
12 always be nearly instananeous.
13
14 Everything else that portage does is so fast compared to the actual
15 compilation or bz2 unpack steps that it really doesn't need to be any
16 faster. Except maybe startup time as Aron mentioned.
17
18 Regards,
19
20 Daniel