From: Mark Loeser <halcy0n@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Textrels in packages policy
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 01:05:12
1 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> said:
2 > this is correct, a very good reason to fix TEXTRELs. another good
3 > reason is that since the segment cannot be mapped readonly, the memory
4 > cannot be shared across multiple processes ... each will need to have
5 > its own copy, thus wasting what could be significant memory resources.
6
7 Sounds like something nice to do, but not something that should be _required_
8 for a package to be deemed stable.
9
10 > > The constant need to look up the address is what causes
11 > > the performance degredation. The performance degredation however is of
12 > > no worry to us.
13 >
14 > if by "constant" you mean "once everytime the code is loaded", then you
15 > are correct ... the relocations need to be rewritten everytime the image
16 > is loaded into memory by the dynamic loader (ldso), but after the first
17 > fixup, that's it, nothing else to be done.
18
19 Again, nice to fix, but does not seem necessary.
20
21 > working on it as i said ... i wish this e-mail could have been posted
22 > once i had more easier things to read :p
23
24 You are working on a policy, or just docs to explain the issues? From what
25 was listed above, I'm not sure why we should require that people fix these
26 issues just to have a package deemed stable.
29 Mark Loeser - Gentoo Developer (cpp gcc-porting toolchain x86)
30 email - halcy0n AT gentoo DOT org
31 mark AT halcy0n DOT com
32 web - http://dev.gentoo.org/~halcy0n/
33 http://www.halcy0n.com