From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Google SOC 2008
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 10:46:33
1 joshua jackson <tsunam@g.o> posted 47C4A08C.3040708@g.o,
2 excerpted below, on Tue, 26 Feb 2008 15:28:12 -0800:
3
4 > Rémi Cardona wrote:
5 >> joshua jackson a écrit :
6 >>> 2) We need mentors, so far confirmed I have: Diego and Saleem
7 >>
8 >> What kind of work is involved there? I wouldn't mind being a mentor but
9 >> I'd like to know a bit more about what's expected from a "good" mentor.
10
11 > There's a few requirements. Being decent in a language or multiple
12 > languages would certainly be a plus, as the students are writing code.
13 > having someone writing something in C or C++ when you've never touched
14 > it wouldn't exactly work out that well obviously.
15 >
16 > Having time to interact with the student as well. [snip]
17
18 I saw some discussion earlier about the possibility/goal of having backup
19 mentors as well. Someone that would keep familiar enough with what's
20 going on to step in if the primary mentor has "things" happen and isn't
21 as available as they intended to be, but (unless the two team as true co-
22 mentors) wouldn't need to do the detail code reviewing, performance
23 auditing, or whatever, unless those "things" /did/ happen to the primary
24 mentor.
25
26 IOW, someone to keep the whole project afloat if something does happen to
27 the primary mentor/gentoo-contact-point. If I'm not mistaken, the
28 original comment I read suggesting this pointed out that there had been a
29 need for a backup mentor for at least one project, that had ended up not
30 going much of anywhere because there wasn't one. Such a run of events
31 would certainly be a shame, both for Gentoo and for the student in
32 question, so if it can be avoided...
33
34 Of course, with only two mentors (now possibly three) volunteered so far,
35 that's not so practical, but perhaps there are some who would prefer to
36 avoid primary mentorship if possible, but wouldn't mind doing it if it
37 becomes necessary to avoid /dev/null-ing the project.
38
39 It's also possible some would be available as co-mentors.
40
41 So anyone qualified and interested, I'm sure it'll help both Gentoo and
42 the student you backup- or co-mentor. =8^)
47 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
50 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list