From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] vim-syntax USE flag
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2017 10:10:25
1 >>>>> On Sat, 22 Jul 2017, Mike Gilbert wrote:
2
3 > Packages currently handle installation of vim syntax support files
4 > inconsistently. Some builds install the files if the "vim-syntax"
5 > USE flag is enabled, while others install them unconditionally.
6
7 > Do these files fall into the "small text files" category for
8 > unconditional installation? If so, we should probably phase out the
9 > vim-syntax USE flag.
10
11 The flag also pulls in additional dependencies for some ebuilds.
12 So I wonder how it could be made unconditional? For example,
13 app-admin/eselect[vim-syntax] depends on app-vim/eselect-syntax
14 which in turn will pull in vim or gvim. Certainly not all users would
15 want that?
16
17 Similarly, if we get rid of the vim-syntax flag, should we phase out
18 the emacs USE flag, too?
19
20 Ulrich