From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] vim-syntax USE flag
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2017 14:12:14
1 On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 6:10 AM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2 >>>>>> On Sat, 22 Jul 2017, Mike Gilbert wrote:
3 >
4 >> Packages currently handle installation of vim syntax support files
5 >> inconsistently. Some builds install the files if the "vim-syntax"
6 >> USE flag is enabled, while others install them unconditionally.
7 >
8 >> Do these files fall into the "small text files" category for
9 >> unconditional installation? If so, we should probably phase out the
10 >> vim-syntax USE flag.
11 >
12 > The flag also pulls in additional dependencies for some ebuilds.
13 > So I wonder how it could be made unconditional? For example,
14 > app-admin/eselect[vim-syntax] depends on app-vim/eselect-syntax
15 > which in turn will pull in vim or gvim. Certainly not all users would
16 > want that?
17
18 I was unaware that the USE flag sometimes introduces additional
19 dependencies. That being the case, we should certainly keep it.
20
21 > Similarly, if we get rid of the vim-syntax flag, should we phase out
22 > the emacs USE flag, too?
23
24 Does this also pull in optional dependencies?