From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] vim-syntax USE flag
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2017 15:59:19
1 >>>>> On Mon, 24 Jul 2017, Mike Gilbert wrote:
2
3 >> The flag also pulls in additional dependencies for some ebuilds.
4 >> So I wonder how it could be made unconditional? For example,
5 >> app-admin/eselect[vim-syntax] depends on app-vim/eselect-syntax
6 >> which in turn will pull in vim or gvim. Certainly not all users
7 >> would want that?
8
9 > I was unaware that the USE flag sometimes introduces additional
10 > dependencies. That being the case, we should certainly keep it.
11
12 A quick scan shows that about 100 ebuilds in the tree have such a
13 USE-conditional dependency.
14
15 >> Similarly, if we get rid of the vim-syntax flag, should we phase
16 >> out the emacs USE flag, too?
17
18 > Does this also pull in optional dependencies?
19
20 Yes, most of the time it does.
21
22 Also, last time I had a (non-Emacs) package unconditionally install
23 Emacs support, there were complaints by "religious" users who wanted
24 to keep their systems 100% Emacs free. ;-)
25
26 Ulrich