From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ship app-arch/pbzip2 instead of app-arch/bzip2
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 22:00:23
1 On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 5:49 PM, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn
2 <chithanh@g.o> wrote:
3 > Michael Mol schrieb:
4 >> A few months ago, I filed bug 423651 to ask that bzip2 on the install
5 >> media be replaced with
6 >> pbzip2.
7 >
8 > If I understand correctly, pbzip2 depends on bzip2. So what you are
9 > asking is that pbzip2 is preferred over bzip2 when both are installed,
10 > and that pbzip2 is installed by default?
11
12 pbzip2 uses libbzip2, which I understand bzip2 to also be a wrapper around.
15 > I have so far encountered only one anecdotal case in #gentoo IRC where
16 > pbzip2[symlink] caused problems in emerging a package. Disabling the
17 > symlink flag made the problem go away. However I can't point to the
18 > report right now, maybe someone with searchable backlog can uncover it.
19
20 pbzip2[symlink] is more or less the scenario I'd like to see.
23 > A different question is whether in the cases where parallel bzip2 makes
24 > sense, is it really the best solution? xz is outperforming bzip2's
25 > compression ratio for large files (for an informal comparison, see bug
26 > 434350). And xz is faster at decompression, which offsets the parallel
27 > advantage to some degree.
28
29 xz is faster for decompression, by my inspiration case was during
30 system installation, so compression. Last I looked, xz was still very
31 slow for threaded compression. And it's not block-oriented, so I don't
32 think that's really possible without loss of compression efficiency,
33 anyway...and my use cases range from 4-8 physical cores.
36 :wq