From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ship app-arch/pbzip2 instead of app-arch/bzip2
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 22:35:34
1 On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 5:59 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 5:49 PM, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn
3 > <chithanh@g.o> wrote:
4 >> Michael Mol schrieb:
5 >>> A few months ago, I filed bug 423651 to ask that bzip2 on the install
6 >>> media be replaced with
7 >>> pbzip2.
8 >>
9 >> If I understand correctly, pbzip2 depends on bzip2. So what you are
10 >> asking is that pbzip2 is preferred over bzip2 when both are installed,
11 >> and that pbzip2 is installed by default?
12 >
13 > pbzip2 uses libbzip2, which I understand bzip2 to also be a wrapper around.
16 libbz2 is built and installed by the app-arch/bzip2 package. Thus,
17 app-arch/pbzip2 depends on app-arch/bzip2, unless someone rips libbz2
18 out into a separate ebuild.