From: Philippe Namias <pn@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] power outage
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 05:53:38
1 On Wednesday 21 March 2001 03:06, you wrote:
2 > drobbins@g.o wrote:
3 > > On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 02:10:27AM +0100, Achim Gottinger wrote:
4 > > > > It's always exciting in New Mexico, and today was no exception. We
5 > > > > had an extended power outage; however, cvs.gentoo.org is back online
6 > > > > now. Also, we seem to be having DSL service interruptions on a
7 > > > > regular basis -- I'm going to start looking into a longer-term
8 > > > > solution to this problem.
9 > > >
10 > > > I saw a short note in tv about that today, it seems to have been a
11 > > > real big power out.
12 > >
13 > > That was probably the one in California, which is being caused by strange
14 > > state (not national) bureaucratic regulations. The one in New Mexico was
15 > > apparently caused by a couple of blown transformers.
16 >
17 > Thought it was exciting? Blown transformers seem to be common in new
18 > mexico. :-)
19 >
20 > > However, all the power problems in California have had the unpleasant
21 > > effect of raising my utility bills (natural gas and electricity) to
22 > > $300/month :((((((((( That's what happens when California buys tons of
23 > > electricity and gas from other states -- the price goes crazy.
24 >
25 > In Europe it is a normal thing to buy electricity from other countries.
26 > You can
27 > even choose a private provider for electricity (company that resells
28 > electricity from germany and other countries).
29 > I buy about $100/month here for electricity and I don't need gas.
30
31 Here in France we don't have any electricity/gas problem as it's a state
32 company. They have the monopole so there is no choice here but i only paid
33 42$ by month for electricity.
36 > > Be careful when your state/country starts regulating the utilities... a
37 > > few stupid laws can create major problems.
38 >
39 > Do they care about my care?
40 >
41 > Have you tested the docbook stuff? Yesterday I found a few documents
42 > that can be converted to man/info pages too.
43 > So the perl stuff seems to work too and it is just a document question.
44 > I'll try to make a docbook from my
45 > ebuild man pages as an example.
46 > Additionaly I will look how kde customized their docbook system and try
47 > to make one for gentoo.
48 > To finish up the docbook system I will add ldp (Linux docbook) and
49 > gnome-docbook stuff.
55 > bye achim~
56 >
57 > > Best Regards,