From: AGottinger@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] power outage
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 19:32:52
1 drobbins@g.o wrote:
2 >
3 > On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 02:10:27AM +0100, Achim Gottinger wrote:
4 >
5 > > > It's always exciting in New Mexico, and today was no exception. We had an
6 > > > extended power outage; however, cvs.gentoo.org is back online now. Also, we
7 > > > seem to be having DSL service interruptions on a regular basis -- I'm going to
8 > > > start looking into a longer-term solution to this problem.
9 > > >
10 > >
11 > > I saw a short note in tv about that today, it seems to have been a real
12 > > big power out.
13 >
14 > That was probably the one in California, which is being caused by strange state
15 > (not national) bureaucratic regulations. The one in New Mexico was apparently
16 > caused by a couple of blown transformers.
17
18 Thought it was exciting? Blown transformers seem to be common in new
19 mexico. :-)
20 >
21 > However, all the power problems in California have had the unpleasant effect of
22 > raising my utility bills (natural gas and electricity) to $300/month :(((((((((
23 > That's what happens when California buys tons of electricity and gas from other
24 > states -- the price goes crazy.
25
26 In Europe it is a normal thing to buy electricity from other countries.
27 You can
28 even choose a private provider for electricity (company that resells
29 electricity from germany and other countries).
30 I buy about $100/month here for electricity and I don't need gas.
33 > Be careful when your state/country starts regulating the utilities... a few
34 > stupid laws can create major problems.
35
36 Do they care about my care?
37
38 Have you tested the docbook stuff? Yesterday I found a few documents
39 that can be converted to man/info pages too.
40 So the perl stuff seems to work too and it is just a document question.
41 I'll try to make a docbook from my
42 ebuild man pages as an example.
43 Additionaly I will look how kde customized their docbook system and try
44 to make one for gentoo.
45 To finish up the docbook system I will add ldp (Linux docbook) and
46 gnome-docbook stuff.
47
48 bye achim~
51 > Best Regards,