From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Decision to remove stage1/2 from installation documentation
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 21:17:19
1 On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 15:42 -0500, Alec Joseph Warner wrote:
2 > I'd point out that this was not well executed as a major change should
3 > have been. We talked of major package changes, apache config changes,
4 > of package breakage. Then one day you up and remove what some consider
5 > a vital part of installing with no warning. Announcements earlier
6 > noting the pending removal of tarballs to say, g-announce and this list
7
8 *sigh*
9
10 Please read the thread you're responding to before making accusations.
11 Nobody has removed any tarballs.
12
13 > would probably have stifled much of the complains ( see the news hit
14 > gentoo-wiki, gentoo-portage, and the community ). Otherwise yeah, you
15 > will get a knee-jerk reaction, many users think you just screwed them
16 > out of something. Nevermind the fact that they are wrong and uninformed
17 > ( in most cases ) you did a crappy job of conveying the message of what
18 > when and why.
19
20 No, we changed some text in the Handbook to basically say "If you want
21 stages 1 or 2, go here" with a link to the new location.
22
23 > Personally if releng is already making stages 1 and 2 for the liveCD's I
24 > see no reason not to give that work away to the community. Stick it in
25 > some unsupported/ section on the mirrors and tell people so. Why throw
26 > away the work you did making the liveCD? Can you quantify the number of
27 > bugs here?
28
29 We don't put out the livecd-stage1 portions of our CD building process,
30 either. Why not? It isn't necessary and it really has no point.
31
32 As for quantifying the number of bugs, I could do so by searching
33 bugzilla, but so could you. What I cannot quantify, because I haven't
34 even tried to keep track, is the number of times a user has hit a
35 circular dependency in #gentoo or on the forums, or by coming and asking
36 in #gentoo-releng. I cannot quantify the number of times a person has
37 asked what is so broken with our releases when they cannot bootstrap due
38 to some issue where a new USE flag has snuck into the dependency tree
39 for "system" and is now wanting kernel sources, or has pulled in a MTA
40 or cron daemon that wasn't the one they wanted.
43 Chris Gianelloni
44 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
45 x86 Architecture Team
46 Games - Developer