From: Josh Saddler <nightmorph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, gentoo-accessibility@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: Accessibility on our release media
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 02:40:49
1 William Hubbs wrote:
2 > My question for the group is, how do you feel about speech software
3 > being on our minimal cd as well as our live cd?
4
5 I am all in favor of this. We should strive to provide easy access to
6 our distribution, and that includes opening up new access methods.
7
8 I remember one time a few years ago that there was a blind user on
9 #gentoo in IRC who needed a lot of help installing Gentoo; he had to
10 find friends who had the time to read what was on the screen (which they
11 couldn't necessarily understand, as our installation and procedures
12 *are* pretty geeky and technical.) How much easier would it have been if
13 he had been able to take charge and do it himself? He probably would
14 have stuck with Gentoo. IIRC, he was discouraged and had to look
15 elsewhere despite his desire to use our stuff.
16
17 So I'm all in favor of adding the speech software.
18
19 Question: what kind of end-user configuration is required once the CD is
20 booted to make use of it?