From: Richard Yao <ryao@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: Does OpenRC really need mount-ro
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 14:06:47
1 > On Feb 16, 2016, at 3:18 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 >> On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 2:31 PM, Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> The failure message comes from rc-mount.sh when the list of PIDs using a
6 >> mountpoint includes "$$" which is shell shorthand for self. How can the
7 >> current shell claim to be using /usr when it is a shell that only has
8 >> dependencies in $LIBDIR ?
9 >> As far as I can tell the code at this point calls fuser -k ${list of
10 >> pids}, and fuser outputs all PIDs that still use it. I don't see how $$
11 >> can end up in there ...
12 >
13 > What does openrc do when the script fails? Just shut down the system anyway?
14 >
15 > If you're going to shut down the system anyway then I'd just force the
16 > read-only mount even if it is in use. That will cause less risk of
17 > data loss than leaving it read-write.
18 >
19 > Of course, it would be better still to kill anything that could
20 > potentially be writing to it.
21
22 Agreed.
23 >