From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: Does OpenRC really need mount-ro
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 20:18:55
1 On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 2:31 PM, Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > The failure message comes from rc-mount.sh when the list of PIDs using a
4 > mountpoint includes "$$" which is shell shorthand for self. How can the
5 > current shell claim to be using /usr when it is a shell that only has
6 > dependencies in $LIBDIR ?
7 > As far as I can tell the code at this point calls fuser -k ${list of
8 > pids}, and fuser outputs all PIDs that still use it. I don't see how $$
9 > can end up in there ...
10
11 What does openrc do when the script fails? Just shut down the system anyway?
12
13 If you're going to shut down the system anyway then I'd just force the
14 read-only mount even if it is in use. That will cause less risk of
15 data loss than leaving it read-write.
16
17 Of course, it would be better still to kill anything that could
18 potentially be writing to it.
21 Rich