From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Hardened USE flag
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 12:50:35
1 On Monday 05 February 2007, Luis Francisco Araujo wrote:
2 > I am usually very hesitant to add new use flags to the tree (unless they
3 > are *really* necessary or imply a great advantage.) ; though i am not
4 > sure here if anybody else would consider this a good recommendation for
5 > handling textrels.
6
7 why not just build pic for everyone on x86 ? define "it'll hurt
8 performance" ... of course you take a small penalty for code being PIC, but i
9 dont exactly see smalltalk being such a performance hardcore language to
10 justify making it special
11
12 > I was thinking more of a simple 'use hardened && myconf=" .. "' specific
13 > line for this ebuild; but it's probably a good idea offering to more
14 > developers the easy choice of this feature through a USE flag?
15
16 you would utilize the "pic" USE flag ... php does this because it, unlike
17 smalltalk, is very performance critical, and so by default it builds as
18 non-pic on x86
19 -mike