From: Luis Francisco Araujo <araujo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Hardened USE flag
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 14:25:24
1 Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Monday 05 February 2007, Luis Francisco Araujo wrote:
3 >> I am usually very hesitant to add new use flags to the tree (unless they
4 >> are *really* necessary or imply a great advantage.) ; though i am not
5 >> sure here if anybody else would consider this a good recommendation for
6 >> handling textrels.
7 >
8 > why not just build pic for everyone on x86 ? define "it'll hurt
9 > performance" ... of course you take a small penalty for code being PIC, but i
10 > dont exactly see smalltalk being such a performance hardcore language to
11 > justify making it special
12 >
13 >> I was thinking more of a simple 'use hardened && myconf=" .. "' specific
14 >> line for this ebuild; but it's probably a good idea offering to more
15 >> developers the easy choice of this feature through a USE flag?
16 >
17 > you would utilize the "pic" USE flag ... php does this because it, unlike
18 > smalltalk, is very performance critical, and so by default it builds as
19 > non-pic on x86
20 > -mike
21
22 Thank everyone;
23
24 I will go with the pic USE flag option then.
28 Luis F. Araujo "araujo at gentoo.org"
29 Gentoo Linux
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list