From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: KDE, metapackages, and monolithic packages
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 10:12:00
1 On Monday 27 February 2006 00:05, Mike Myers wrote:
2 > Duncan wrote
3 >
4 > [deleted]
5 >
6 > Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation.
7 >
8 > Do you know if there's a way or going to be a way to handle the split
9 > ebuilds so that reemerging or unemerging a split ebuild will reemerge
10 > or unemerge the corresponding packages? It seems like the ebuilds are
11 > only intended to make installing kde easier, which they do, but it
12 > doesn't make handle uninstalling or reinstalling a split ebuild very
13 > easy at all. Like, if I had kde 3.4 installed and upgraded to 3.5 and
14 > no longer need 3.4, I can't just do 'emerge -C kde-meta-3.4', or
15 > something similar if it's the installed with the split metapackage. Or
16 > if I just wanted to remove some split ebuild, like say kdenetwork, but
17 > leave the rest, I couldn't do 'emerge -c kdenetwork-meta' to uninstall
18 > the related packages.
19 >
20 > Basically, my concern is that how KDE is installed is quite easily
21 > handled, but uninstalling or reinstalling is not equally as easy, at
22 > least in some aspects.
23 >
24 > I hope I explain myself well enough, and thanks for your response.
25
26 It is a problem that has been present in portage since the beginning. The
27 problem is that portage does not do reverse dependency tracking. The idea
28 should be that when kde-meta-3.4 is deleted, it finds that there is no
29 package anymore that requested the kde-3.4 subpackages. And as such
30 portage would delete them. Currently we can not fix this. It has to do
31 with the reasons that depclean is "broken". One problem is that currently
32 portage does not record which particular versions satisfy a dependency.
33 As such removing packages that should not be used, may introduce problems
34 with packages that have been linked against it.
35
36 Paul
39 Paul de Vrieze
40 Gentoo Developer