From: Mike Myers <fluffymikey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: KDE, metapackages, and monolithic packages
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 23:11:46
1 Duncan wrote
2
3 [deleted]
4
5 Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation.
6
7 Do you know if there's a way or going to be a way to handle the split
8 ebuilds so that reemerging or unemerging a split ebuild will reemerge or
9 unemerge the corresponding packages? It seems like the ebuilds are only
10 intended to make installing kde easier, which they do, but it doesn't
11 make handle uninstalling or reinstalling a split ebuild very easy at
12 all. Like, if I had kde 3.4 installed and upgraded to 3.5 and no longer
13 need 3.4, I can't just do 'emerge -C kde-meta-3.4', or something similar
14 if it's the installed with the split metapackage. Or if I just wanted to
15 remove some split ebuild, like say kdenetwork, but leave the rest, I
16 couldn't do 'emerge -c kdenetwork-meta' to uninstall the related packages.
17
18 Basically, my concern is that how KDE is installed is quite easily
19 handled, but uninstalling or reinstalling is not equally as easy, at
20 least in some aspects.
21
22 I hope I explain myself well enough, and thanks for your response.
23
24 Mike
25 --
26 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list