From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: KDE, metapackages, and monolithic packages
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 08:55:57
1 Mike Myers posted <44023455.3040906@×××××.com>, excerpted below, on Sun,
2 26 Feb 2006 17:05:57 -0600:
3
4 > Do you know if there's a way or going to be a way to handle the split
5 > ebuilds so that reemerging or unemerging a split ebuild will reemerge or
6 > unemerge the corresponding packages? It seems like the ebuilds are only
7 > intended to make installing kde easier, which they do, but it doesn't
8 > make handle uninstalling or reinstalling a split ebuild very easy at
9 > all.
10
11 As others have said it's a technical/portage issue.
12
13 Unmerging a package always leaves dependencies behind. To clean those
14 up, emerge -NuD world (to ensure use dependencies are uptodate), emerge -p
15 depclean (to get a list of what it thinks is unneeded), fix anything on
16 that list you know to be needed (add it to world), then either unmerge
17 individually (as I do, even then, ensuring I haven't missed adding
18 something to world that I should have, verifying what each package does
19 and thinking about whether I actually do need it as I go) or if you
20 prefer, use the depclean without the -p, then, finally, do a
21 revdep-rebuild (first -p it, of course) to catch any dependencies that
22 still might have slipped thru and need rebuilt.
23
24 Upgrading is a bit more sensitive. However, with things like KDE
25 upgrades, I'll often use the --prune parameter on emerge, combined with -p
26 first of course. Then again, I unmerge manually as necessary. One other
27 method I've used is to do an equery list of kde packages, then grep it
28 for the version I want to unmerge, to get a list of old packages. So an
29 upgrade from 3.4 to 3.5 I'd grep for 3.4. Finally, when you've unmerged
30 most old KDE packages, take a look at the old /usr/kde/<ver> dir and see
31 what's left there, then do equery belongs <file> with what's left, to
32 figure out the packages they belong to. Anything left over that doesn't
33 belong to a package should be deletable, or if you prefer to be safe, move
34 it to a backup dir for a month or so first, so you can restore it if
35 necessary. Again, after unmerging stuff, a revdep-rebuild is recommended.
36
37 As others said, please move futher discussion to either user or desktop.
38 I don't look at user, but I'm a regular over in desktop, where KDE
39 questions are happily answered, as it's certainly part of desktop.
44 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
45 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
49 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list