From: Benda Xu <heroxbd@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo on Android stage3
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2016 16:55:04
1 Hi Michael,
2
3 "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org> writes:
4
5 >> No SD slot on Nexus. We will stress the internal NAND flash with
6 >> millions of ebuilds and rsync :)
7
8 > Completely out of my depth here, but can you cross-compile and
9
10 Ah, I was half-joking. Considering the recent advancement of NAND flash,
11 I expect it lasts longer than those 3 years ago. Back in 2013, I used a
12 low-quality class 10 microSD card for development, rsync'ed over 500
13 times before the card showed some signs of failure.
14
15 So it is pretty safe to rsync, say, once a week. Before it wears out,
16 the phone will be outdated or squashdelta becomes available.
17
18 cross-compile is possible, but not trivial. After all, the goal of this
19 project is to develop on Android *natively in-situ*, exactly the same as
20 PC: no more SDK, no more cross-compiling and no more ROM-flashing. Just
21 use portage to compile kernels, build java apps and rolling release,
22 what do you say?
23
24 ROM-flashing a phone is equivalent to reinstalling the whole OS on a PC.
25 My laptop runs nearly 10 years without reinstallion (and surviving a
26 migration from HDD to SSD). The software on mobile devices is far more
27 inflexible. What the android world lacks is a damn good solid package
28 manager, Gentoo/portage/Prefix is one way to save this chaos.
29
30 > is there some way of leveraging the USB-C connection on the Nexus 6P
31 > .. or are we talking super-complex then?!
32
33 Oh yeah, you can attach a USB flash drive or even an HDD[0] via a USB
34 OTG[1] adapter.
35
36 > Will keep you posted about the Samsung .. will have a stab over the
37 > holiday period.
38
39 Great. Looking forward to it.
40