From: Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Separately buildable binary blobs
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 05:17:52
1 On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 10:45 PM, Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se> wrote:
2 > Doug Goldstein wrote:
3 >> sys-firmware/ipxe, sys-firmware/seabios, sys-firmware/sgabios,
4 >> sys-firmware/vgabios
5 > ..
6 >> So basically, how important is it to keep supporting these separately
7 >> buildable blobs knowing that it might slow the release of QEMU within
8 >> our own tree.
9 >
10 > Each of those sys-firmware/ packages have quite significant use cases
11 > well outside of QEMU.
12
13 Aware of that, but no one added them to the tree prior to me adding
14 them to the tree for QEMU. Since then I haven't had a single user
15 report a bug or contact me in any way about using it outside of QEMU.
16 The one exception is myself with ipxe as I use that at work to provide
17 something similar to boot.fedoraproject.org but on a much grander
18 scale.
21 > Note also that in particular SeaBIOS but possibly the others too are
22 > really recommended to build with a separate, known-good, toolchain -
23 > even if you're building for the same platform that you run on.
24
25 Aware of that as well, you'll notice we have always defaulted to using
26 pre-built binaries of the releases by Kevin O'Connor the upstream
27 maintainer and for any bugs reported with QEMU if someone built their
28 own BIOS I always tell them they need to try with the upstream blob.
31 The point of my original post was we go through the effort to ALLOW
32 users to build their own binary blobs but is it really necessary as
33 part of our culture? If this was Debian the answer would obviously be
34 yes.
37 Doug Goldstein