From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Separately buildable binary blobs
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 04:45:22
1 Doug Goldstein wrote:
2 > sys-firmware/ipxe, sys-firmware/seabios, sys-firmware/sgabios,
3 > sys-firmware/vgabios
4 ..
5 > So basically, how important is it to keep supporting these separately
6 > buildable blobs knowing that it might slow the release of QEMU within
7 > our own tree.
8
9 Each of those sys-firmware/ packages have quite significant use cases
10 well outside of QEMU.
11
12 Note also that in particular SeaBIOS but possibly the others too are
13 really recommended to build with a separate, known-good, toolchain -
14 even if you're building for the same platform that you run on.
15
16 The buildgcc[1] script from coreboot generates such a
17 toolchain. USE=vanilla gcc+binutils may or may not work. I have
18 certainly experienced USE=-vanilla gcc+binutils output broken machine
19 code for coreboot and SeaBIOS. I have been unable to take time to
20 investigate and report those breakages anywhere so they may still
21 output broken machine code because of whatever patches.
24 //Peter
25
26 [1] http://review.coreboot.org/gitweb?p=coreboot.git;a=tree;f=util/crossgcc