From: Daniel Campbell <lists@××××××××.us>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] desktop experience on smartphone: thoughts and plans against Ubuntu edge
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 09:30:25
1 On 08/13/2013 12:21 AM, heroxbd wrote:
2 > Dear Fellows,
3 >
4 > Canonical is raising money by pushing their concept of Ubuntu for
5 > Android[1][2]. The idea is to put GNU environment (esp. Ubuntu userland)
6 > in parallel to Android to drive the external HDMI output with X11
7 > protocal, so that desktop applications can run on the smartphone.
8 >
9 > The idea is cool, but not new. The idea is general to all android
10 > devices, while Canonical is binding the concept with its own new device.
11 >
12 > The project is developed underground by Canonical, so far nothing, not
13 > to say repository, is available except advertisements and the call for
14 > people to donate.
15 >
16 > As a natual consequence of the on-going Google Summer of Code project,
17 > Gentoo on Android[3], we can run native Gentoo on *all* the Android
18 > devices. Compiling out an Xorg and output to HDMI has no theoretical
19 > difficulty. Furthermore, sharing of graphic output with Android (instead
20 > of a separate HDMI output) can be explored with wayland x11[4].
21 >
22 > I feel sorry to the behavior of Canonical. We, people from the Gentoo
23 > community, can show the general public what is the cooperative way to
24 > develop desktop/smartphone hybrid to benefit all.
25 >
26 > I would like to kick out a sub-project of Gentoo targeting smartphone
27 > and tablets. It would be nice to find out a solution based on Gentoo for
28 > desktop/smartphone hybrid *before* Canonical's release.
29 >
30 > Comments welcome.
31 >
32 > Cheers,
33 > Benda
34 >
35 > 1. http://www.ubuntu.com/phone/ubuntu-for-android
36 > 2. http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ubuntu-edge
37 > 3. http://www.awa.tohoku.ac.jp/~benda/projects/android.html
38 > 4. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayland_%28display_server_protocol%29
41 I'm not a developer but this project's existence would motivate me to
42 get a compatible smartphone and test this new Gentoo version on it,
43 assuming it's also capable of standard phone calls and texts, etc.