From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Stupid USE defaults that need cleaning
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2006 01:08:50
1 OK. Here is my take on profiles and USE.
2
3 First of all, the "default-linux/$arch/$relver" profiles will *always*
4 match what we use to build GRP for the releases. There's no discussion
5 here, as this will not be changed. Adding additional sub-profiles
6 really is a stupid idea and a waste of developer time. If a user cannot
7 put -flag into make.conf, why should we really have to cater to this
8 level of ignorance? Point them to the documentation on USE flags and be
9 done with it. I mean no offense to anyone, but wasting our limited
10 development time maintaining n profiles that are all similar is rather
11 pointless. If you look at what has been done with profiles recently, we
12 have been working to make the default-linux/$arch profiles very
13 minimal/generic, allowing people to create their own profiles that
14 inherit these minimal profiles. I don't really think we should spend
15 the time creating profiles for each of the possible setups our users
16 could want. There is a single "desktop" profile right now. It is the
17 default profile for each release version. Making a "Gnome" or "KDE"
18 profile just opens us up to countless bugs from users wanting *their*
19 defaults into a profile. What we end up with is 20 "desktop" profiles
20 for each architecture and wasting a ton of time. I would much rather
21 tell users to read the documentation and have them learn how to maintain
22 their systems, than try to cater to every whim of every user, since
23 everyone will want something different. Perhaps allowing for longer USE
24 descriptions would work?
27 Chris Gianelloni
28 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
29 x86 Architecture Team