From: Olivier Fisette <ribosome@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Stupid USE defaults that need cleaning
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 17:08:56
1 On Monday, 26 December 2005 11:57 am, Jakub Moc wrote:
2 > emboss - "Adds support for the European Molecular Biology Open Software
3 > Suite." WTF? Why are we abusing make.defaults for such stuff?
4
5 Quote from bug #82428:
6
7 ----
8 The reason why I think "emboss" should be enabled by default is that the
9 vast majority of users of packages such as aaindex, CUTG, PRINTS, Prosite,
10 Rebase and TransFac want/expect EMBOSS support for these packages. (These
11 are the only packages with optional EMBOSS support.) For example, although
12 a minority of users have custom scripts to query the Prosite database,
13 most will use the EMBOSS program "patmatmotifs" to interface with it, so
14 having this program available when Prosite is installed is a sensible
15 default.
16 ----
17
18 The issue of Stupid/INSANE/crap/crazy/WTF/abusing default USE flags has been
19 brought to this list (and others) before. If you think enabling a certain USE
20 flag is not a good default, explain why, keeping in mind that we cannot
21 enable or disable default USE flags per ebuild, that the default profiles are
22 targeted at desktop users, and that packages should always work correctly
23 out-of-the-box, even if that means pulling in lots of dependencies. If you
24 would like to have a smaller set of default USE flags for a server or a
25 minimal desktop system, then write the corresponding profile and propose it
26 to the relevant arch teams.
27
28 Regards,
31 Olivier Fisette (ribosome)
32 Gentoo Linux Developer
33 Scientific applications, Developer relations