From: Jakub Moc <jakub@g.o>
To: Ciaran McCreesh <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re[2]: [gentoo-dev] Stupid USE defaults that need cleaning
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 17:01:24
1 26.12.2005, 16:35:33, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 00:09:57 -0500 Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o>
4 > wrote:
5 > | the USE defaults are a bit INSANE... We need to get rid of some of
6 > | this crap...
7
8 > No, you just don't understand how they work. It's not an issue of
9 > "is foo important". It's an issue of "for packages with optional foo
10 > support, does it make most sense for foo to be enabled by default?".
11
12 OK, then:
13
14 alsa - this does not make most sense definitely, this horrible thing needs
15 to die.
16
17 emboss - "Adds support for the European Molecular Biology Open Software
18 Suite." WTF? Why are we abusing make.defaults for such stuff?
19
20 eds - please, fix the ebuilds properly instead of throwing the thing on
21 everyone. This has already caused numerous invalid bugs with people
22 wondering why the heck portage wants to emerge gnome with USE="-gtk -gnome"
23
24 motif - no need to repeat Cardoe's description... and this has caused tons
25 of "cups depends on X" bugs.
29 Best regards,
30
31 Jakub Moc
32 mailto:jakub@g.o
33 GPG signature: http://subkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xCEBA3D9E
34 Primary key fingerprint: D2D7 933C 9BA1 C95B 2C95 B30F 8717 D5FD CEBA 3D9E
35
36 ... still no signature ;)