From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Stupid USE defaults that need cleaning
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 17:13:27
1 On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 17:57:17 +0100 Jakub Moc <jakub@g.o> wrote:
2 | alsa - this does not make most sense definitely, this horrible thing
3 | needs to die.
4
5 Why? On x86, alsa is the least broken sound system, and on x86, the
6 target for the default profiles is desktops, and most desktops have
7 soundcards.
8
9 | emboss - "Adds support for the European Molecular Biology Open
10 | Software Suite." WTF? Why are we abusing make.defaults for such stuff?
11
12 Because it makes sense. For any application which has IUSE="emboss",
13 chances are emboss should be enabled. There was a long discussion about
14 this on the -user list a while back where I ended up posting a
15 newbie-friendly explanation of the whole thing. Perhaps you could hunt
16 it down on marc or gmane and post a link here...
19 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (I can kill you with my brain)
20 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
21 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm