From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Stupid USE defaults that need cleaning
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 15:38:59
1 On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 00:09:57 -0500 Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | the USE defaults are a bit INSANE... We need to get rid of some of
4 | this crap...
5
6 No, you just don't understand how they work. It's not an issue of
7 "is foo important". It's an issue of "for packages with optional foo
8 support, does it make most sense for foo to be enabled by default?".
9
10 Remember that, by tradition, our default USE flag setup is for desktop
11 systems on archs where desktops are available. If you'd rather have a
12 server-like setup, persuade your arch team to introduce sparc-style
13 server profiles.
16 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (I can kill you with my brain)
17 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
18 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm