From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: Jan Krueger <jk@×××××××××××.net>
Cc: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>, Steven Elling <ellings@×××××.com>, Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some suggestions
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 10:41:39
1 On Sun, 2003-09-07 at 07:59, Jan Krueger wrote:
2 > On Sunday 07 September 2003 03:08, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
3 > > Come on guys, think what is best for the *distro* (meaning,
4 > > what will work best for the other 90% of users,
5 >
6 > >From my point of view the best for the 90% of users in this case (make.conf)
7 > would be:
8 > 1. a very precise documentation with examples about the user settable things
9 > for make.conf thats accessable via a standard command, like man make.conf or
10 > info make.conf
13 $ man make.conf
14
15 does work .. tried it lately ?
16
17 > 2. a clean, easy to read configuration file without mess and things the user
18 > doesnt care about so it is easy for the user (even easier for tools) to
19 > change exactly the setting the user wants to change because it is easier to
20 > identify the place where the change must happen and easier to identify the
21 > values that already are there.
22 >
23 > You may try this yourself:
24 > nano -w make.conf as it gets installed
25 >
26 > and
27 > nano -w make.conf with just the settings you actually use, everything else
28 > thrown out.
29 >
30 > Which one is easier to modify?
31
32 Personally if it is a new app/whatever I try, than not having to search
33 for the howto to setup it is usually the easiest.
36 > So i strongly support: