From: Jan Krueger <jk@×××××××××××.net>
To: azarah@g.o, Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
Cc: Steven Elling <ellings@×××××.com>, Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some suggestions
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 03:53:56
1 On Sunday 07 September 2003 03:08, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
2 > Come on guys, think what is best for the *distro* (meaning,
3 > what will work best for the other 90% of users,
4
5 From my point of view the best for the 90% of users in this case (make.conf)
6 would be:
7 1. a very precise documentation with examples about the user settable things
8 for make.conf thats accessable via a standard command, like man make.conf or
9 info make.conf
10
11 2. a clean, easy to read configuration file without mess and things the user
12 doesnt care about so it is easy for the user (even easier for tools) to
13 change exactly the setting the user wants to change because it is easier to
14 identify the place where the change must happen and easier to identify the
15 values that already are there.
16
17 You may try this yourself:
18 nano -w make.conf as it gets installed
19
20 and
21 nano -w make.conf with just the settings you actually use, everything else
22 thrown out.
23
24 Which one is easier to modify?
25 Especially try to change a FEATURE setting. Or even better, let a new gentoo
26 user try to change a FEATURE setting.
27
28 If the user is not sure about the variables/values to put there the user may
29 at anytime suspend nano or open another terminal or use another virtual
30 console and execute man make.conf
31
32 most users probably use just 4 or 5 settings:
33 use flags
34 c(xx) flags
35 sync
36 mirrors
37 features
38
39 the rest is for the majority of users just useless in make.conf. So my
40 expirience (and assumption).
43 So i strongly support: