From: Nathaniel <natem@×××××××.net>
To: Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some suggestions
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 15:57:30
1 Regarding the etc-update issue, here are some of my thoughts.
2
3 1. etc-update should check modify dates and overwrite if not modified.
4
5 2. Part of the problem is that make.conf has so many options (ie. its a
6 large file.) What if we split it up into smaller files... Something
7 like:
8
9 /etc/make.conf.d/USE
10 /etc/make.conf.d/CFLAGS
11 ...
12 /etc/make.conf.d/FEATURES
13 etc...
14
15 I would guess that a large portion of users never modify the features
16 and other settings of make.conf. This way, etc-update could update only
17 the portions that need updating without overwriting USE flags, etc.
18 This would also make it easier to parse the files for any automated
19 install (GLIS), etc.
20
21 3. Another option is to have a file that contains the users settings,
22 seperate from config files themselves... For instance, what if we had a
23 file, say /etc/customsettings, that contained all the updated options
24 for config files. It could perhaps contain a syntax like the following:
25
26 /etc/make.conf:USE="X gnome gtk alsa"
27 /etc/make.conf:FEATURES="distcc sandbox buildpkg"
28 /etc/conf.d/net:IFACE="dhcp"
29
30 Then etc-update could not only replace the old file with the update, but
31 could also update it with the user's specific values. It could find the
32 line with the "USE=" text and replace it with the full customized
33 replacement.
34
35 My $.02.
36 --