From: drev@××××××.it
To: matthew@×××××××.nz
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Installing over dial up
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2002 04:06:56
1 On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 03:42:53PM +1200, matthew@×××××××.nz wrote:
2 > Hi, I was looking through the installation instructions, and it seems that Gentoo expects your computer to be connected to a
3 > network with an Internet gateway running for the initial install/setup.
4 >
5 > Does Gentoo allow you to use a modem to download the packages? I'm a humble home user with only 56K dial up you see :-)
6 > (I can download and burn the ISO at work, but the PC I'll be installing it on is at home.)
7 >
8 > It's a bog standard General Robotics external modem that's worked happily used with Mandrake in the past.
9 >
10 I currently use gentoo under a dialup connection. for minimizing
11 connection time i use the 'emerge --fetchonly
12 <something_big_like_gnome_or_kde>; killall pppd' command
13 and then I go to sleep. this way next morning you can compile without
14 internet connection. (just 'emerge <something_big_like_gnome_or_kde>')
15
16 btw, works even if you don't sleep in the meanwhile ;-)
17
18 gianluca
22 > Cheers,
23 > Matt.