From: "Tod M. Neidt" <tod@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The future of eclasses
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 11:45:07
1 Hi!
2
3 My thoughts for what their worth:
4
5 On Thu, 2002-02-07 at 13:27, Karl Trygve Kalleberg wrote:
6 > > This is all almost certainly portage v2 stuff. However I'd like everyone
7 > > working on portage (e.g. Bevin, with whom I've spoken) to know where we
8 > > stand, to coordinate our efforts. As always, any ideas, forecasts,
9 > > suggestions etc. are always welcome.
10 >
11 > I like the idea. If its documentation becomes part of the ebuild howto,
12 > it will get adopted fairly quickly.
13 I too find the concept of eclasses "sexy." Not being a KDE user my
14 experience with them has been limited, but I do appreciate the
15 motivation behind them. However, ....
18 > The main concern Hallski and me (and possibly others, such as John
19 > Stalker, if memory serves) was that the current ebuild system mirrors
20 > the manual build process so closely that external contributors have
21 > little or no difficulty sending us ebuilds.
22 The structure of ebuilds being analogous to the ./configure, make, make
23 install manual build sequence is a tremendously valuable "feature" for
24 gentoo users in my opinion. Holds to the "form follows function"
25 principal and is relatively transparent to a user who wants to tweak an
26 ebuild to suit their needs with minimal effort. I admit that I am an
27 unabashed promoter of the KISS principal (one of my daily working
28 mantras, along with "check the connections" :) Is their anyway that
29 eclasses could be "hidden" in portage so that the visible ebuilds
30 remains simple, i.e at least gives the appearance of being analogous to
31 ./configure, make, make install? As John Stalker stated in another
32 post, the ability to understand, or at least think you understand, with
33 minimal effort what is happening when you merge a particular ebuild is
34 attractive.
37 > What plagues many non-kde ebuilds is that their build systems are fairly
38 > non-standard. And even packages with seemingly standard build systems
39 > quickly turn out to have both minor and major flaws (Mailman is a good
40 > example of a horrible build system that on the surface looks nice, but
41 > in practice turns out to be a real bitch).
42
43 Many of the applications that I am interested in have roots in 30+ year
44 old FORTRAN and have never even had a Makefile provide in the tarball.
45 Yes, they are still of value, the kind that only 30+ years of peer
46 review can provide.
47
48 Again, I find the eclasses concept sexy. I am just concerned with what
49 might be lost, especially by the Gentoo user, in their application.
50
51 Has anyone tabulated an objective Advantages/Disadvantages analysis of
52 eclasses?
53
54 tod