From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The future of eclasses
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 12:47:12
1 On Thursday 07 February 2002 19:43, you wrote:
2 > The structure of ebuilds being analogous to the ./configure, make, make
3 > install manual build sequence is a tremendously valuable "feature" for
4 > gentoo users in my opinion. Holds to the "form follows function"
5 > principal and is relatively transparent to a user who wants to tweak an
6 > ebuild to suit their needs with minimal effort. I admit that I am an
7 > unabashed promoter of the KISS principal (one of my daily working
8 > mantras, along with "check the connections" :) Is their anyway that
9 > eclasses could be "hidden" in portage so that the visible ebuilds
10 > remains simple, i.e at least gives the appearance of being analogous to
11 > ./configure, make, make install? As John Stalker stated in another
12 > post, the ability to understand, or at least think you understand, with
13 > minimal effort what is happening when you merge a particular ebuild is
14 > attractive.
15 Well, the code in the eclasses is the same exact code that wuold go into the
16 ebuilds if the eclasses didn't exist. So you can read and understand it.
17 If you want to actually see it execute, then a) a vrey detailed log is
18 generated in $WORKDIR/temp and b) you can change ebuild.sh's shell to bash -x
19 and thus get info on every line executed and every action taken. It's quite
20 transparent and comfortable once you're used to it.
21
22 BTW, you can export ECLASS_DEBUG_OUTPUT="on" before emerging and you'll get
23 that same output to your console.
26 Dan Armak
27 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team (KDE)
28 Matan, Israel