From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: news item: changes to stages (make.conf and make.profile)
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 11:40:47
1 On 24-07-2012 07:20:31 -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 7:07 AM, Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o> wrote:
3 > > I don't know about general consensus. In my opinion, it's plain spam to
4 > > existing users. (And that would IMO be the xth news item in a row to be
5 > > spam.)
6 >
7 > Can't say I agree here. Some news items have been more useful than
8 > others, but I doubt the typical Gentoo user (who does not subscribe to
9 > -dev) would think that many of the past messages have been spam.
10
11 Ok. This is subjective.
12
13 > Long-time Gentoo users aren't going to notice in the handbook that the
14 > location of /etc/make.conf has moved - I know that if I'm doing an
15 > install I tend to use the handbook as a checklist but I skim through
16 > it so fast that I doubt I'd notice a big change. They're going to
17 > appreciate a heads-up. The only people who wouldn't consider it news
18 > are those following this list, and judging by the state of this thread
19 > you'll already have read 40 posts on the topic, so the 41st won't be
20 > that big of a deal.
21
22 Long-time Gentoo users either 1) don't reinstall systems that often (why
23 would they?), or 2) know that things every once in a while change.
24
25 IMO, with 1) you'd expect that user to read the docs again when doing a
26 new install. With 2) they already figured out when they did a new
27 install that /etc/make.conf was not there, however putting something in
28 a file out there did work as expected as well.
29
30 From a different angle, perhaps stage3s shouldn't include a default
31 /etc/make.conf at all. Would solve this issue nicely, and doesn't
32 require a news item at all, IMO.
33
34 At the moment Portage refuses to read /etc/make.conf, a news item and
35 possibly even a block of Portage update until the file has been moved
36 would be in order.
39 Fabian Groffen
40 Gentoo on a different level