From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: news item: changes to stages (make.conf and make.profile)
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 12:03:41
1 On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 7:39 AM, Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 24-07-2012 07:20:31 -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 7:07 AM, Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o> wrote:
4 >> > I don't know about general consensus. In my opinion, it's plain spam to
5 >> > existing users. (And that would IMO be the xth news item in a row to be
6 >> > spam.)
7 >>
8 >> Can't say I agree here. Some news items have been more useful than
9 >> others, but I doubt the typical Gentoo user (who does not subscribe to
10 >> -dev) would think that many of the past messages have been spam.
11 >
12 > Ok. This is subjective.
13 >
14 >> Long-time Gentoo users aren't going to notice in the handbook that the
15 >> location of /etc/make.conf has moved - I know that if I'm doing an
16 >> install I tend to use the handbook as a checklist but I skim through
17 >> it so fast that I doubt I'd notice a big change. They're going to
18 >> appreciate a heads-up. The only people who wouldn't consider it news
19 >> are those following this list, and judging by the state of this thread
20 >> you'll already have read 40 posts on the topic, so the 41st won't be
21 >> that big of a deal.
22 >
23 > Long-time Gentoo users either 1) don't reinstall systems that often (why
24 > would they?), or 2) know that things every once in a while change.
25 >
26 > IMO, with 1) you'd expect that user to read the docs again when doing a
27 > new install. With 2) they already figured out when they did a new
28 > install that /etc/make.conf was not there, however putting something in
29 > a file out there did work as expected as well.
30
31 As a user who's done a lot of reinstalling this year, I can offer a
32 couple observations:
33
34 1) The handbook contains a barebones make.conf, just as it comes with
35 a number of other barebones configuration files. You probably don't
36 need to supply a make.conf file, since the barebones version is only a
37 few lines.
38 1a) I have to think that things like CHOST could be set somewhere
39 higher up, and only overridden in make.conf. Similarly, if there's a
40 round-robin DNS entry for GENTOO_MIRRORS, that could be defaulted,
41 too.
42
43 2) Once I got to the point where I was frequently reinstalling, I
44 started copying and tweaking make.conf files from working systems
45 rather than doing a full rebuild.
46
47 3) That news item about udev-181 and a unified /usr is still greeting
48 new users...and it's still claiming an unmask of 2012-03-19, which is
49 three months ago. It's quite confusing in that it claims an event is
50 going to occur, in the past, and it still hasn't occurred.
53 > From a different angle, perhaps stage3s shouldn't include a default
54 > /etc/make.conf at all. Would solve this issue nicely, and doesn't
55 > require a news item at all, IMO.
56
57 From the perspective of a user who often deals with the install
58 process, and occasionally helps others with it, I think this is could
59 be very good.
63 :wq