From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: news item: changes to stages (make.conf and make.profile)
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 12:10:47
1 On 24-07-2012 08:01:40 -0400, Michael Mol wrote:
2 > As a user who's done a lot of reinstalling this year, I can offer a
3 > couple observations:
4 >
5 > 1) The handbook contains a barebones make.conf, just as it comes with
6 > a number of other barebones configuration files. You probably don't
7 > need to supply a make.conf file, since the barebones version is only a
8 > few lines.
9 > 1a) I have to think that things like CHOST could be set somewhere
10 > higher up, and only overridden in make.conf. Similarly, if there's a
11 > round-robin DNS entry for GENTOO_MIRRORS, that could be defaulted,
12 > too.
13
14 In Prefix, we just set CHOST in the profiles.
15
16 > 2) Once I got to the point where I was frequently reinstalling, I
17 > started copying and tweaking make.conf files from working systems
18 > rather than doing a full rebuild.
19 >
20 > 3) That news item about udev-181 and a unified /usr is still greeting
21 > new users...and it's still claiming an unmask of 2012-03-19, which is
22 > three months ago. It's quite confusing in that it claims an event is
23 > going to occur, in the past, and it still hasn't occurred.
24
25 ... and how about that --as-needed one? so annoying, it usually doesn't
26 even apply to the systems I'm installing on.
27
28 > > From a different angle, perhaps stage3s shouldn't include a default
29 > > /etc/make.conf at all. Would solve this issue nicely, and doesn't
30 > > require a news item at all, IMO.
31 >
32 > From the perspective of a user who often deals with the install
33 > process, and occasionally helps others with it, I think this is could
34 > be very good.
37 Fabian Groffen
38 Gentoo on a different level