From: "Diego Elio Pettenò" <flameeyes@×××××××××.eu>
To: "gentoo-dev@l.g.o" <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] logging in openntpd 20080406-r3+
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2013 16:20:23
1 On Sat, Nov 30, 2013 at 1:31 PM, Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se> wrote:
2
3 > Or maybe yes. :) The condition I refered to is that the system is
4 > using openrc. Sorry if my weak language skills caused confusion!
7 What I mean is that it would be stupid to have USE=openrc to apply such a
8 patch. Either the patch is done correctly (does not break the daemon), or
9 is not. If the former is true, USE=openrc would be broken; if the latter is
10 true, why not simply apply it to begin with?
11
12 If you really don't want PID files (and it probably means you have never
13 had to deal with medium-scale deployments, but never mind), you can make it
14 so that `-p` is an optional parameter, and if not passed no pidfile is
15 created. And voilà, you can make an unconditional patch and even send it
16 upstream for other init systems that do rely on pidfiles that are not
17 OpenRC.
18
19 Diego Elio Pettenò — Flameeyes
20 flameeyes@×××××××××.eu — http://blog.flameeyes.eu/