From: "Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn" <chithanh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] UTF-8 locale by default
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 12:15:28
1 Ulrich Mueller schrieb:
2 > As I had pointed out before [1], changing from POSIX to an en_US
3 > locale will have undesirable side effects, like commas as thousands
4 > separators in numbers (because of LC_NUMERIC). Also the defaults of
5 > en_US for LC_MEASUREMENT and LC_PAPER are only useful in the U.S.
6 >
7 > So if we change the default (but I still don't see the need), we
8 > should go for a less intrusive setting like:
9 >
10 > LANG="POSIX"
11 > LC_CTYPE="en_US.utf8"
12
13 This would be better than LANG="en_US.utf8" but I would still prefer not
14 to have any country/region attached to the locale. The C.UTF-8 locale
15 which Debian uses for this purpose (a UTF-8 locale without side effects)
16 appears more suitable to me.
19 Best regards,
20 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn