From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] UTF-8 locale by default
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 17:25:50
1 On Friday 27 July 2012 08:13:16 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn wrote:
2 > Ulrich Mueller schrieb:
3 > > As I had pointed out before [1], changing from POSIX to an en_US
4 > > locale will have undesirable side effects, like commas as thousands
5 > > separators in numbers (because of LC_NUMERIC). Also the defaults of
6 > > en_US for LC_MEASUREMENT and LC_PAPER are only useful in the U.S.
7 > >
8 > > So if we change the default (but I still don't see the need), we
9 > >
10 > > should go for a less intrusive setting like:
11 > > LANG="POSIX"
12 > > LC_CTYPE="en_US.utf8"
13 >
14 > This would be better than LANG="en_US.utf8" but I would still prefer not
15 > to have any country/region attached to the locale. The C.UTF-8 locale
16 > which Debian uses for this purpose (a UTF-8 locale without side effects)
17 > appears more suitable to me.
18
19 yes, and i'm waiting on the POSIX group to formalize C.UTF-8. that's the only
20 real option in my mind for making unicode the default. any other
21 amalgamations of various locales is ugly as sin.
22 -mike