From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] UTF-8 locale by default
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 18:31:03
1 El vie, 27-07-2012 a las 13:24 -0400, Mike Frysinger escribió:
2 > On Friday 27 July 2012 08:13:16 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn wrote:
3 > > Ulrich Mueller schrieb:
4 > > > As I had pointed out before [1], changing from POSIX to an en_US
5 > > > locale will have undesirable side effects, like commas as thousands
6 > > > separators in numbers (because of LC_NUMERIC). Also the defaults of
7 > > > en_US for LC_MEASUREMENT and LC_PAPER are only useful in the U.S.
8 > > >
9 > > > So if we change the default (but I still don't see the need), we
10 > > >
11 > > > should go for a less intrusive setting like:
12 > > > LANG="POSIX"
13 > > > LC_CTYPE="en_US.utf8"
14 > >
15 > > This would be better than LANG="en_US.utf8" but I would still prefer not
16 > > to have any country/region attached to the locale. The C.UTF-8 locale
17 > > which Debian uses for this purpose (a UTF-8 locale without side effects)
18 > > appears more suitable to me.
19 >
20 > yes, and i'm waiting on the POSIX group to formalize C.UTF-8. that's the only
21 > real option in my mind for making unicode the default. any other
22 > amalgamations of various locales is ugly as sin.
23 > -mike
24
25 Do you have any idea about how much time could that formalization take?
26 If it will take a long time, maybe we could go to that amalgamations :-/