From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] prepalldocs is now banned
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 19:06:42
1 On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 20:01:04 +0100
2 Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> wrote:
3 > > If you really, genuinely think you have a case for compression of
4 > > docs, backed up with statistics showing that it's a relevant change,
5 >
6 > I fail to see why you need statistics for something that is clearly a
7 > waste of space, but this could be a start:
8 > http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_9018a9f64cd32ba85494887ffe3edf78.xml
9
10 Because if you look at the statistics, it's pretty obvious that it's a
11 stupid idea. If you've got USE=doc, somewhere around 4% of managed
12 files are in /usr/share/doc, and once you take inode sizes into
13 account, you can knock that down to about 3% -- and this is for people
14 who are already turning on a use flag that wouldn't be on on
15 space-relevant systems.
16
17 > > then you should write a proposal for future EAPIs for handling it,
18 >
19 > I don't understand why something that has been there for ages has to
20 > die. For what I've seen, the major (and only) problem with prepalldocs
21 > is its definition and I'm sure we can find one that everybody will
22 > agree with.
23
24 Because killing it is better than keeping it. It's solving an
25 irrelevant problem the wrong way.
26
27 > > and you should do it in such a way that it works automatically for
28 > > all ebuilds, without any developer intervention (but providing some
29 > > way for ebuilds to disable it where necessary).
30 >
31 > This is probably a good start:
32 > http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_eb1f7952eb2f0fe725bde331a4d9ae30.xml
33
34 Can you demonstrate that it's even remotely useful?
37 Ciaran McCreesh