From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Vanilla sources stabilization policy change
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2013 23:18:29
1 On Thu, Aug 08, 2013 at 12:50:32AM +0200, Peter Stuge wrote:
2 > Greg KH wrote:
3 > > See above for why it is not easy at all, and, why even if we do know
4 > > some fixes are security ones, we would not tag them as such anyway.
5 >
6 > I think this supports the argument that the better kernel is always
7 > the one with the most fixes.
8
9 That's what us kernel developers have been saying for 10+ years, nice to
10 see it's finally getting some traction :)
11
12 > Rather than separating "bug fixes" from "security fixes" maybe it's
13 > wiser to think about separating "fixes" from "features" - this may
14 > be easier, but still not neccessarily easy.
15
16 For stable kernel releases, that type of thing should be quite easy for
17 someone to do, if they want to do it, as the only type of "features" I
18 take for them are new device ids.
19
20 But I fail to see how marking 5 patches out of 100 as "features" is
21 really doing to do much for anyone, do you?
22
23 thanks,
24
25 greg k-h