From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Vanilla sources stabilization policy change
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2013 23:44:22
1 Greg KH wrote:
2 > > > See above for why it is not easy at all, and, why even if we do know
3 > > > some fixes are security ones, we would not tag them as such anyway.
4 > >
5 > > I think this supports the argument that the better kernel is always
6 > > the one with the most fixes.
7 >
8 > That's what us kernel developers have been saying for 10+ years, nice to
9 > see it's finally getting some traction :)
10
11 It has been obvious for me for a very long time as well, but I am
12 just one person, and my idea doesn't seem to have much traction in
13 Gentoo. :\
16 > > Rather than separating "bug fixes" from "security fixes" maybe it's
17 > > wiser to think about separating "fixes" from "features" - this may
18 > > be easier, but still not neccessarily easy.
19 >
20 > For stable kernel releases, that type of thing should be quite easy for
21 > someone to do, if they want to do it, as the only type of "features" I
22 > take for them are new device ids.
23 >
24 > But I fail to see how marking 5 patches out of 100 as "features" is
25 > really doing to do much for anyone, do you?
26
27 For stable kernel releases there would be no need. I think they
28 should be stabilized automatically in Gentoo. It's simply a more
29 accurate model of upstream.
32 //Peter