From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: peter@×××××.se
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Vanilla sources stabilization policy change
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2013 08:26:54
1 On Fri, 9 Aug 2013 01:44:12 +0200
2 Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se> wrote:
3
4 > > > I think this supports the argument that the better kernel is
5 > > > always the one with the most fixes.
6 > >
7 > > That's what us kernel developers have been saying for 10+ years,
8 > > nice to see it's finally getting some traction :)
9 >
10 > It has been obvious for me for a very long time as well, but I am
11 > just one person, and my idea doesn't seem to have much traction in
12 > Gentoo. :\
13
14 When you state a contradiction [1], there is nothing convincing about
15 it; the sentence as you made it there, can be interpreted in both ways.
16
17 [1]: <20130809101023.6618a356@TOMWIJ-GENTOO>
18 See the previous mail I just sent out.
19
20 > > > Rather than separating "bug fixes" from "security fixes" maybe
21 > > > it's wiser to think about separating "fixes" from "features" -
22 > > > this may be easier, but still not neccessarily easy.
23 > >
24 > > For stable kernel releases, that type of thing should be quite easy
25 > > for someone to do, if they want to do it, as the only type of
26 > > "features" I take for them are new device ids.
27 > >
28 > > But I fail to see how marking 5 patches out of 100 as "features" is
29 > > really doing to do much for anyone, do you?
30 >
31 > For stable kernel releases there would be no need.
32
33 Depends on your own needs; but, identifying security fixes so they can
34 be applied in a timely fashion as well as back ported and what not
35 would definitely help. Why should the fact be hidden or slowly deduced
36 that a commit is a security fix. Collaboration would really help...
37
38 > I think they should be stabilized automatically in Gentoo. It's
39 > simply a more accurate model of upstream.
40
41 With 30 days delay, as well as bugs that block stabilization; there is
42 nowhere in Gentoo an accurate model of upstream, if it were then it
43 would be my mere luck. I don't see why the kernel should differ...
44
45 At most, we do our best to keep up where we can; if not, there's always
46 keywords like "~" and "" for people that want to be more bleeding edge.
49 With kind regards,
50
51 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
52 Gentoo Developer
53
54 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
55 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
56 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D