From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Update on Gentoo Policy; description of package.mask vs ~arch
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 20:13:16
1 begin quote
2 On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 17:33:23 +0100
3 Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o> wrote:
4
5 > Hi all,
6 >
7 > With thanks to Alastair Tse I've updated the Gentoo Policy with a more
8 > verbose explanation on the use of ~arch versus package.mask.
9 >
10 > The change will be online with the next webserver sync and is made at
11 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/policy.xml#doc_chap4_sect3
12 >
13 > The sentence
14 >
15 > This is not the equivalent of "testing" or "unstable" in other
16 > distributions.
17 >
18 > has been replaced with
19 >
20 > There is a difference between using package.mask and ~arch for
21 > ebuilds. The use of ~arch denotes an ebuild requires testing.
22 > The use of package.mask denotes that the application or library
23 > itself is deemed unstable. For example, if gimp-1.2.0 is the
24 > stable release from Gimp developers, and a new bug fix release
25 > is available as 1.2.1, then a developer should mark the ebuild
26 > as ~arch for testing in portage because the release is deemed to
27 > be stable. In another example, if Gimp decides to release an
28 > unstable/development series marked as 1.3.0, then these ebuilds
29 > should be put in package.mask because the software itself is of
30 > development quality and is not recommended by the developers for
31 > distribution.
32 >
33 > I know it's not my habit of telling gentoo-dev when documentation is
34 > updated, but for updates on the policy I will try to do make a habit
35 > out of it.
41 YES! FINALLY!
42
43 WOO hooo.
46 Maybe this means that we will once again be able to get rid of the
47 <censored> that litter our systems with requests for gnome 2.5 , evo 1.5
48 and other more or less broken packages as ~arch.
49
50 Thanks, much appreciated.
53 //Spider
57 begin .signature
58 This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!
60 end