From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Update on Gentoo Policy; description of package.mask vs ~arch
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 16:51:03
1 Hi all,
2
3 With thanks to Alastair Tse I've updated the Gentoo Policy with a more
4 verbose explanation on the use of ~arch versus package.mask.
5
6 The change will be online with the next webserver sync and is made at
7 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/policy.xml#doc_chap4_sect3
8
9 The sentence
10
11 This is not the equivalent of "testing" or "unstable" in other
12 distributions.
13
14 has been replaced with
15
16 There is a difference between using package.mask and ~arch for
17 ebuilds. The use of ~arch denotes an ebuild requires testing. The
18 use of package.mask denotes that the application or library itself
19 is deemed unstable. For example, if gimp-1.2.0 is the stable release
20 from Gimp developers, and a new bug fix release is available as
21 1.2.1, then a developer should mark the ebuild as ~arch for testing
22 in portage because the release is deemed to be stable. In another
23 example, if Gimp decides to release an unstable/development series
24 marked as 1.3.0, then these ebuilds should be put in package.mask
25 because the software itself is of development quality and is
26 not recommended by the developers for distribution.
27
28 I know it's not my habit of telling gentoo-dev when documentation is updated,
29 but for updates on the policy I will try to do make a habit out of it.
30
31 Wkr,
32 Sven Vermeulen
35 / /
36 / / Sven Vermeulen Gentoo Documentation & PR
37 / / swift@g.o
38 / / Goodnight Dana, may you find peace where you are now.