From: Vlastimil Babka <caster@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [GLEP56] USE flag descriptions in metadata
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 23:40:43
1 Doug Goldstein wrote:
2 > An clearly motivation explanation that I didn't add, which I'm going to
3 > add once I send this is the fact that as per the QA Project,
4 > use.local.desc can not contain a USE flag that already appears globally
5 > in use.desc. This would allow a description for that USE flag to be
6 > contained in the metadata.
7
8 What reason does the QA Project have to disallow such thing? Is it just
9 so that package-specific info does not concentrate in one huge file? Or
10 is it the danger that the meaning of package-specific flags would drift
11 too far from the global flag's meaning and lead to confusion?
12 If it's the first, then metadata.xml seems like a good place. If the
13 latter, then it wouldn't make much sense to approve the syntax and then
14 disallowing it by QA :)
15
16 > I encourage any and all _technical_ feedback.
17
18 Technically, I think linking to blogs, especially outside of g.o domain
19 is not the best thing durability-wise :)
20 --
21 Vlastimil Babka (Caster)
22 Gentoo/Java