From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [GLEP56] USE flag descriptions in metadata
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 23:49:16
1 On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 01:40:36 +0200
2 Vlastimil Babka <caster@g.o> wrote:
3 > Doug Goldstein wrote:
4 > > An clearly motivation explanation that I didn't add, which I'm
5 > > going to add once I send this is the fact that as per the QA
6 > > Project, use.local.desc can not contain a USE flag that already
7 > > appears globally in use.desc. This would allow a description for
8 > > that USE flag to be contained in the metadata.
9 >
10 > What reason does the QA Project have to disallow such thing? Is it
11 > just so that package-specific info does not concentrate in one huge
12 > file? Or is it the danger that the meaning of package-specific flags
13 > would drift too far from the global flag's meaning and lead to
14 > confusion? If it's the first, then metadata.xml seems like a good
15 > place. If the latter, then it wouldn't make much sense to approve the
16 > syntax and then disallowing it by QA :)
17
18 As I recall, the logic was that global use flags have a single, well
19 defined global meaning. Using use.local.desc for *refinements* wouldn't
20 go against that, but it's a fairly badly defined line.
23 Ciaran McCreesh