From: "Harald van Dijk" <truedfx@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Gentoo vs GNU toolchain (was Re: [gentoo-dev] Replacing cpu-feature USE flags)
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 18:46:46
1 On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 01:55:03PM -0400, Ned Ludd wrote:
2 > Keep pushing this and the only thing you will end up with is the
3 > vanilla flag being removed all together..
4
5 Is that a threat? If not, is there a reason behind this?
6
7 > You want a pure 100%
8 > vanilla(POS) non working toolchain then go download it and
9 > compile it yourself. You will soon see why things exist the way
10 > they do..
11
12 If you mean modifying the build system to actually work properly, then I
13 have no problem with that. USE=vanilla refers to runtime behaviour, not
14 the build system. (See use.desc.) Specifically, if patches are applied
15 that make sure GCC compiles, and those patches make sure GCC compiles to
16 the same program intended by the GCC devs at that release, those patches
17 are appropriate, IMO. None of the GCC patches I have problems with are
18 of this nature.
19
20 If you mean vanilla GCC + build fixes is unusable, then I'd appreciate
21 an explanation, because as far as I know, it can work just fine as a
22 system compiler, and plenty of people, at some times myself included,
23 use it as one.
24 --
25 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list